Ebook Launch’s ebook formatting service includes the following:
- We guarantee our formatting.
- A linked Table of Contents
- If your book has italics, bold and underline, they will be preserved
- Insertion and reduction of image sizes if required. Images with a lot of small text do not work very well in ebooks. Please consider this when deciding whether or not you want your ebook to be formatted.
- Conversion of tables to images. Please note: as per requirements, tables will be converted to images. See note about images above. Tables with a lot of detail can sometimes be difficult to read as a result of the eReader screen size and/or the resolution of the image.
- We format in one font only. The eReader device will determine the style of the font, or if the eReader is capable, the reader will set them to their preference. For this reason, we do not embed fonts or use multiple fonts.
- To ensure that your ebook looks great on all devices, we format in font sizes 11-14 pt.
- Linked footnotes/endnotes if applicable: Please note: As ebooks do not have pages per se, footnotes will become endnotes and will be placed at the end of your book. Your footnotes/endnotes must be continuous. (For example, it cannot start over at one for each chapter/section.) Also, your footnotes/endnotes must have been created using MS Words Insert > Footnote/Endnote menu. Any bold and italics in the footnotes/endnotes will be lost.
- Because they do not display well on most e-reader apps or devices, we do not use drop caps.
The epub formatting quote includes the above plus the following:
- An epub file (without cover inserted)
- An epub file (with cover inserted)
- These are epubs formatted for all publishers, therefore it doesn’t include items specific to one publisher. (audio, video, etc.)
- Apple FAQ: https://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/working-itunes/sell-content/books/book-faq.html
- Apple Contact: [email protected]
- Kobo: http://www.kobo.com/writinglife
- Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?pid=8148
- IngramSpark: https://www.ingramspark.com/Portal/Help
The Amazon mobi formatting quote includes the above plus the following:
- A mobi file formatted for upload to Amazon KDP.
Note: we do not insert your cover into the mobi file as you will upload it separately when you publish. Your cover will be inserted into your ebook at this time.
Helpful Resources for publishing on Amazon KDP
- Amazon KDP: http://kdp.amazon.com
- Amazon KDP Contact: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/contact-us
- Amazon KDP Covers: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2J0TRG6OPX0VM
- Amazon KDP Help: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help
- Amazon KDP Publishing Video: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2M7MM0UP7PHK0
- Amazon Author Central: https://authorcentral.amazon.com/
- Kindle for Mac: http://amzn.to/13QFxwr
- Kindle for PC: http://amzn.to/12C5xMz
The Smashwords Word doc formatting quote includes the above plus the following:
- A Word doc file formatted according to the Smashwords Style Guide for upload to Smashwords.
Note: We do not insert your cover into the Word doc as you will upload it separately when you publish. Your cover will be inserted into your ebook at this time.
Things You Need to Know when publishing on Smashwords.
Smashwords uses Adobe Digital Editions as their standard for epub viewing, so this is our standard as well. http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/digital-editions.html
Helpful Resources for publishing on Smashwords:
- SW Support: https://www.smashwords.com/about/contact/1
- SW FAQ: https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq
- Smashwords Cover requirements: https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#covers
- Smart Author Podcast with Mark Coker: https://www.smashwords.com/podcast
The PDF ebook formatting quote includes the above plus the following:
- Before we format your book for ebook formats, we first create a master file. We create the PDF from this master file.
- The PDF ebook is based on the ebook files. Therefore it does not have headers, page numbers, text centered vertically, etc. This is why it is considered an ‘add-on’ and not to be confused PDF for printing. If you would like your book formatted for print, please see: https://ebooklaunch.com/print-book-formatting/
- If you have provided us with your cover file, we will insert this at the beginning of the file.
- The PDF file is only available at $19.95 if ordered with at least one other ebook file format.
- We do not format ebooks using text boxes, columns, tabs, hanging indents, highlights and color font. If your book contains any of these, they will need to be converted into images to be acceptable for ebook format.
- If your book has an excessive number of text boxes, we will request that you remove the text from the text box and insert it into the body of the text.
- We will remove, the columns, tabs, hanging indents, etc., when formatting.
- Page numbers. Ebooks do not have pages per se so they do not have page numbers. Any page numbers you see in an ebook are put there by the eReader app or device, not during formatting.
- ISBN: An ISBN is not required inside the ebook so we do not require it to start formatting. You can attach it to the ebook’s metadata when you publish through the supplied ISBN field.
The formatting quote does not include the following services:
- Cover: You will receive a separate invoice if you have requested a cover to be designed by us. Otherwise, your cover designer is responsible for any issues with your cover.
- Internal Links: Other than the table of contents and endnotes we do not include links that reference anchors within the document. If you must include this kind of link, please discuss it with us. (footnotes are converted to endnotes).
- Illustrations, chart design, graph design, etc.
- Uploading your file to a publisher.
- Help to operate your computer. We would love to help, but there are just too many variables in the hardware and software for us to do this.
- The files types we provide are listed on the estimate and invoice. We do not provide source files. If you require a source file, there will be an additional fee.
- Please be sure we have the final copy of your book. (proofread, edited, etc.)
- When you pay, you are indicating that we have the final version of your book and we can start on your project immediately, therefore we cannot accept changes after this.
- If you have updated your manuscript, please email the updated version to [email protected] before payment.
- We provide one free revision to correct any formatting issues. If editing (corrections to typos, grammar, etc.) is required after formatting, we can do a maximum of forty edits. We will provide a quote to do this. If the number of edits is greater than forty, then the book will require reformatting. For more information on our revision process, please click the following link: https://ebooklaunch.com/faq/revision-process-work-formatting/
* Please note that our guarantee is good until 30 days after we have emailed your formatted file to you.